Meeting Minutes

July 10, 2021 Meeting minutes:

 

July 2021 Tennis Report

     The tennis courts are up and running and look great thanks to Baseline North and the several volunteers who helped get them ready this year including the McElwees and the Martins. For those of you who may be new to the island each year the courts require approximately 3000 lbs of Har Tru sand to be delivered to Falls Point Marine in Freeport where it is then barged over and trucked up to the courts by Crawford Taisey. There is much prep work to be done each spring in order to get the courts cleaned off including every last pine cone in preparation for Baseline North to scrape off what is left of the old Har Tru and apply the new sand. The new product is spread and rolled and then the process of nailing down the tapes begins. All 2000 nails!

     You may be asking yourself, “Why must this be done each year?”. Unfortunately back in the day when it was decided to put the tennis courts in, the less maintenance option of cement courts were too cost prohibitive and still are today. The choice that made the most sense were clay courts. Clay was transported from somewhere on the island and the foundation was laid. An incredible undertaking and if any knows more on that history I am all ears! The clay will dry out without the Har Tru sand as a top layer. It is really a thin layer of sand and after a season of sweeping the courts after each play and blowing which happens weekly to keep debris off, the sand deteriorates and becomes sparse. The new Har Tru each year protects the clay as does periodic rolling to keep the clay compact.

     It is important to not play on clay courts if they are too wet as play can dig up the clay and just as important when they are dry not to over sweep them. If there is a drought I encourage people to skip sweeping after play if they have only moderately messed up the courts and just use the line roller as a courtesy to the next set of players. Please always hang up the line roller and sweeper on appropriate hooks so as not to damage the brushes. Only sneakers should be worn as shoes with treads damage the courts.

     While the island does pay for this service each year for which we are grateful any extra items like new nets ect are dependent on donations.  We also encourage people who use the court to donate each season to help absorb these extra costs. There is a donation box located on the fence at the tennis courts. Any contributions for the tennis courts should be made out to the CABI and earmarked for the tennis courts. 

     This year Lyn McElwee  and Mary Martin are hoping to hold some youth clinics and adult mixers. There is a children’s net available as well as racquets for all ages. We are excited about offering things for the youth to get involved in t because as you know there is a healthy herd of kids on the island this year! Stay tuned for more information which will be posted at the store porch.

Respectfully yours,

Chris Martens


NO meeting in 2020 due to Covid Pandemic

2019
C.A.B.I. Annual Meeting Report 7.6.2019 10:00am Bustins Island Maine 

Call to Meeting to Order (need quorum of 20)

  • 35 people attended the meeting

Review 2018 minutes

  • Minutes were posted on the CABI Blog and a link was shared through the CABI Facebook Page
  • The 2018 minutes were approved.

Co-Chair Report

Susie Rauch and Debbie Crane CABI Board Co-Chairs reported on the progress made on the action items from the 2018 Annual Meeting. 

  1. Tennis Court Related:
    1. The CABI met with the BIVC about the tennis court maintenance cost. The CABI asked the BIVC for $700.  BIVC approved an additional $300 for the “general CABI Park & Rec fund.” This money ($3000  given annually from BIVC) used to be “just for tennis court funds” but not anymore (BIVC voted to just budget this money as “park and rec.” CABI decided to dedicate all BIVC funds to the maintenance of the tennis courts. Annually it costs  CABI over $3000  closer to $4000) to maintain the tennis courts. We are only getting the $300, as this is what has been approved by BIVC. (as I understand it) 
      **summary- we should be getting $3300 from BIVC for ‘park & rec’ which we have earmarked for tennis**
    2. Jeff Carrier made and donated a new tennis court rules sign that has been hung up. 
    3. The CABI is looking for tennis court volunteers. 
    4. To better utilize this island resource tennis clinics for kids will be offered later this summer (see the sign at the Post Office).  There is also discussion of organizing a tennis tournament. 
  1. Community House Related:
    1. The drawers in the Community House kitchen were labeled and cleaned out.
    2. The CABI mended the curtains on the Community House stage. There has been talk about replacing the stage curtains, which need to be fire retardant according to the Fire Wise Committee. We are not sure if the current curtains are flame retardant. Jane Packer suggested trying a fire-retardant spray. Susie & Debbie researched other options and did not find any as thick as the existing curtains. Susie reported that new stage curtains would be “really expensive.” 
    3. Getting a portable mic system for the Community House was discussed and researched this year. The conversation is on-going and the BIVC will be involved as well. (BIVC is looking into this since it came up at one of their recent meetings as well) 
  1. CABI Fundraising:
    1. The CABI ordered and sold more sweatshirts for $10 each. The CABI earned $500 from this fundraiser.  ** these were the green Bustins ME sweatshirts**
    2. The CABI provided insulated totes to people who donated $50 or more to the CABI in 2018. 
    3. The CABI board is looking for more fund-raising ideas but no action has been taken yet. 
    4. The CABI has a mailbox at the Post Office for donations. Jane shared that the box is not secure.  Kim requested people find her to make donations. 
    5. Becky Dugan suggested the CABI set up a Venmo account (initially this idea was discouraged. After the meeting CABI members agreed it would be a good idea.) 
  1. CABI Annual Meeting Attendance. In the past there has been discussion of reducing the quorum number to 15 people which would involve changing the bylaws. The CABI would like to avoid reducing the quorum. This year the meeting was moved a weekend earlier (because of Fire Wise Day) and attendance increased. Over 30 people!The CABI has been trying to increase participation in the Annual Meeting. Some ideas have included free baked goods or square dance tickets. All attendees of the 2019 meeting did get in free to the Square Dance that evening(if they attended.)
  2. Community House Events:
    1. The Community Potluck supper has been poorly attended. The CABI is planning a Ham & Bean supper for the Centennial celebration of the Community House on July 25th
    2. The end of the summer theme party was poorly attended last year, so the CABI is considering doing something different this year. (not really doing anything) ;P
  3. Yearly Costs. It was mentioned that the yearly costs were outlined in the 2019 Annual CABI letter. At the meeting it was highlighted that in 2019 we bought new bean bags and craft supplies. Another cost mentioned was, CABI making a $200 contribution to the new swing set. 
  4. Children’s Library. Debbie reported that the CABI with the help of the Meyer and Bushman girls worked to weed out some of the the children/teen library books in 2018.  The CABI would like to continue to weed out books and do some updating to the children’s titles. A request was made for hard cover books if  donations are given.  
  5. Boat Excursions.  The CABI is talking to boat committee (and Lilly B captains) to plan the 2019 trips. The CABI would like to offset as much of the excursion costs as possible. Islanders have complained about the cost of the excursions in the past. Part of the cost is providing the boat Captain a bonus. Going on Lilly B excursions is complicated because the trips can only be on T/Th because of the boat schedule. Other challenges include, tides, capacity issues at outing spots and weather. For example, in 2018 there were so many thunderstorms we could not do our ice-cream runs.  

Treasurer report expected expenses $3800 (not including tennis)

  • CABI Treasurer Kim Ryan started her report by complimenting the CABI board on all the good work they do. 
  • Meeting attendees were provided copies of the CABI Budget. Kim called people’s attention to things like bank balances and savings for emergencies.  
  • Kim explained the checking account goes up and down over the course of the year and we pretty much break even with funds and expenses. Furthermore, the CABI has a pretty good idea of what to expect for costs each year. 
  • Donations. Kim reported 2018 donations were amazing! Usually the CABI receives 45-50 donations/year, last year they received 83 donations. Kim said, “There are 120 cottages on the island if half are accounted for that is great.” Donations thus far in 2019 have been “solid”, 38 donations had been made to date.
  • Expenses: Kim discussed some of the expenses: 
    • Like boat excursions to the Dolphin & Erica’s 
    • It was noted that $1200 is earmarked specifically for the tennis court maintenance- I think this is based on donations? (YES) We do earmark as mentioned the $3000 from BIVC for tennis only, and expect another $300 for 2020
    • The cost of maintaining the golf course is minimal. New flags were purchase.  We have some extra golf funds.
    • Some money has been earmarked for new Children’s Library books. 
  • Kim closed her report by asking for people to let the CABI know how they would like to see the funds spent, the CABI is always looking for new ideas.
    • In response to this question from the floor, “Do you have aspirations? For example, if you had X $ we would do X?  (great question…)
    • Debbie responded that the CABI is mostly looking for volunteers to help sort through the Children’s Library books.  Debbie equated the CABI to a school PTO and said, “it’s your island, what activities do you want to see?” 
  • Request for Receipts:
    • Kim requested that islanders submit receipts (for supplies) rather than making in-kind donations. This is important for us to know the costs- even if someone wants to make ‘in – kind’ donations.
    • Fireworks: Ron Sweat shared that what we gave no longer can cover the fireworks, he was $50 over budget this year. The 12-13 hours of set up is an in- kind donation of Ron’s time. The board requested that Ron submit his receipts so he can be reimbursed. The meeting attendees also voted to increase the firework funds for next year. 
  • Square Dance Music. Ron Sweat reported that he spent $250 last year (2018) updating his (general dance) music selection for the August square dance (and karaoke?). Ron was thanked for alerting the board to these costs. It was noted that there is no adult August Square Dance planned for this summer. 
  • Audit Books. Kim requested that someone review her books. Alison Bushman volunteered to audit the CABI books.
  • Susie requested a motion to approve the treasurer report, the report was approved.

ELECTIONS

  • Susan Rauch – Co-chair- up for re-election
  • Mandy Meyer– Member at large- yearly election
  • Kim Ryan – Treasurer- yearly
  • Jessica Petrie -Secretary – yearly election 
  • Debbie (the only member not up for re-election) Nominated everyone for their current positions. All positions were approved. 

Old Business Items Discussed by Co-Chair Debbie Crane

  • Jessie continuing Island Yoga. 
  • Portable Mic System. Debbie explained the CABI is looking into purchasing the portable mic system for meetings, concerts etc. so we can be ‘independent’ of the system at the Community House. A portable system would not require that Ron or Tanya Sweat do set up. This need also came up at the BIVC meeting, so the new system will be shared by CABI and BIVC.  
  • Volunteers for the Children’s Library Needed. Debbie underscored that the CABI continues to need/ accept volunteers – to open and run the library and weed out old titles to make room for new books.

New Business

  • Mandy Meyers is on BIVC and serves as a liaison to CABI.
  • BIVC/BUSTINS & BAY (B&B): 
    • In the context of the request for more tennis court money from the BIVC, it was brought to the attention of the CABI that the BIVC believes CABI is connected to B & B and that B&B sets money aside for CABI general expenses. The CABI Board clarified that we are not connected to B&B in any official capacity.   The only money the CABI receives from B&B is for municipal purposes. B&B contributions to CABI do not go into the general fund.  Mandy (and Hank Rauch- also on BOO/BIVC) will work to negotiate terms on this matter. 
    • History: The CABI originally offered/shared their donation platform in the annual CABI letter as a courtesy to those wanting to give and receive tax a deduction.  
    • Mandy underscored that B&B is a separate organization for CABI. B&B was left out of the annual letter the last last couple of years because the CABI has no oversight or understanding of their budget. The only money CABI receives for B&B is for municipal purposes, like building the ramp to the tennis courts sheds (for $500).
    • Susie further explained that the CABI is not 501c3.  The CABI operates on less that $10K a year there for it does not qualify for tax deductible organization status. 
  • Annual Meeting Attendance: Debbie discussed meeting attendance again. She explained the CABI meeting has to be a week before the BIVC annual meeting. This date worked well and we will probably hold our meeting the same weekend next year.  
  • 2020- Community House Celebration
    • Debbie shared initial ideas for the 100 year celebration like live music from island musicians.  The CABI is also looking into provide a commemorative item (sweatshirt or long sleeve T) with a special logo. Kim has asked Sam Larson to work on a Community House logo for the event. The meeting attendees agreed just to have one community supper on the 25th and not do the one on the 4th of July weekend. 
    • Pam Canu suggest that people come in period pieces like was done for the 75th celebration.  Jessica Petrie suggested we do a photo both with period clothing instead.  Susie, knows someone who could provide some of the equipment for the photobooth idea.  
  • Increase Firework Funds: Increase funds for fireworks (not purchase more) because cost has gone up (see above). 
  • Children’s Library: 
    • Debbie specified that there is $165 available to buy some more current titles but first the current collection needs to be edited.  
    • Kim Ryan is going to donate (appropriate) discarded books to free laundromat library program at home in PA. Thank you Kim! Jancie Boyko has also offered to take old/discarded books to the Goodwill.
  • Island Newsletter: Mandy has volunteered to revitalize “Store Porch as an email newsletter*. The BIVC emails can no longer include island business (i.e. rentals, sales, births, deaths, etc.)  The new newsletter will streamline communications in an email blast. We still need to figure out the process for collecting the information.  *Late 2019 /2020 Bustins Island News started by another islander*
  • Other
    • CABI is planning to use the big BIVC white board to Use of White Board to advertise events weekly at the Community house.
    • New Signs: Jeff Carrier made the new Tennis Rules sign and a new Bustins Island sign.
    • Jane Packer announced that she has tickets for Sundaes on Sunday. 
    • Debbie encouraged meeting attendees to pick up a copy of the 2019 CABI calendar before leave.  She noted if you did not receive a calendar in the mail you should update your contact information with the CABI. 

Adjourn

  • Pam made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  The meeting attends accepted the motion to adjourn the meeting.

 

C.A.B.I. Annual Meeting Minutes July 14th, 2018 9 AM Bustins Island Maine

Officers In attendance: Debbie Crane, Susan Rauch, Mandy Meyer (Kim Ryan not present due to family illness, Kim Adams resigned)

Meeting called to order at: 9:22 am With a quorum of 20 people attending.

Leadership report

  • Keeping calendar simple this year due to officer availability constraints due to family, school, and work demands.
  • Huge appreciation and thanks for your generous donations. Over 4K in donations in 2018! With donations of $50 or a free Bustins insulated tote bag is provided while supplies last!
  • Inquires made about more Bustins, ME sweatshirts. 12 minimum needed before order is placed. 6 more orders needed for production to occur.

Nominations for slate of officers approved:
Debbie re-elected as co – president for another two year term 1 year terms
Kim Ryan- as Treasurer
Mandy Meyer – as Member at Large
Jessie Petrie- nominated and voted as Secretary
Susan Rauch – up for re-election in 2019

Abbreviated version of 2017 minutes read by Debbie Crane (A full printed report was available during the meeting)
Questions as to minutes & request to move to tennis report to sooner in the meeting – unanimously agreed

Minutes approved unanimously.

Tennis Report
Read by Susan Rauch as reported by Christine Martens (A full printed report was available during meeting)

Discussion followed:

  • Suggestion to post tennis report at Tennis Courts and and Store Porch for islanders to view. Animals, particularly dogs, should be kept off court and how to roll courts (there is a sign with directions)
  • Suggestion to have new sign made with updated rules: No dogs on courts, No unsupervised (young) children, and proper shoe requirements

Tennis report accepted as read unanimously

Treasurers Report
Read- abbreviated
Discussion followed:

  • Donations have been higher than in recent years general fund over $4000
  • Feedback from one member that cost of events and maintenance expenses sent in CABI annual letter was helpful information, and may also be related to higher donations.
  • Request that all golf / tennis expenses be itemized and up to date (as feasible) balance be listed for each fund.
  • CABI can fund labor costs of under $600 per individual without tax implications.

Treasurers report unanimously accepted as read.

Old Business
Tennis Court Discussion

  • Park and Rec money from BIVC is going directly to tennis fund from CABI to pay all court resurfacing costs (per CABI unanimous vote at past meeting).
  • Susan Rauch from CABI board and Christine Martens petitioned BIVC to keep park and rec money within the last few years. The rationale for BIVC to keep money is that tennis courts are a municipal cost. If the cost becomes prohibitive for the BIVC, the allocation of money, for park and rec, should be an island decision not a CABI decision.
  • Tennis courts adds value to everyone’s property. Usage is sporadic. August seems busier than July. This year, report made that approximately 1⁄2 dozen people used courts early in the 2018 season.
  • Lively discussion about tennis courts, money from BIVC, usage, options.
  • Point made to put the $3000 line item back into BIVC for park and rec. BIVC should take care of that piece of property. Suggestions for CABI: increase interest by funding and marketing a tournament.
  • Volunteers are needed in the early and later part of the season, to pull up tapes, provide ant bait, clear courts of debris, etc.
  • Discussion from members about how money should be apportioned by saying tennis courts are a municipal expense for public benefit similar to golf course.
  • Point made that if CABI declines 2019 money, BIVC can put $3000 line item back in their budget for 2019 within 2 weeks of 2018 annual meeting. Determined that it is too late to change BIVC annual meeting warrant.
  • Suggestion made that a meeting with BIVC and CABI board to discuss consequences of refusing park and rec money. Joint public meeting also suggested between BIVC and CABI prior to voting to decline contribution.
  • Concrete courts suggested but the expense of such courts would be astronomical. Previous BIVC discussions determined high cost.
  • Motion made to decline BIVC funds, motion seconded. Vote taken: 4 votes to decline $3000 from BIVC, 9 votes to accept $3000 and keep status quo. Motion failed.

Old business continued

  • China and silverware items were donated to historical society from Community House kitchen for a permanent exhibit at Ships Inn Museum.
  • Old card tables under stage need weeding out pending a discussion with and approval from BIVC and coordination with next big junk pick up.
  • Older long and large tables are very heavy and cumbersome. CABI plans to use funds to replace with new lighter weight tables once above steps have been taken.
  • Cost of curtains to replace faded and worn stage curtains is at least 10K-
  • Suggestion made to use rib cord bed spreads heavy enough to fall to stage floor and are fully opaque.
  • Chairs – future painting TBD paint was taken home by Kim Ryan to avoid freezing off season…

New Business

  • Some tables loaned to Wifi café at old school house- Thank you to Kevin Petrie and Jeff Giles for setting up the Wifi café.
  • Painting party to paint school house Wifi café on 7/15
  • Freeport library will lend to residents with tax bill on hand, or proof of Maine residence to get a library card.
  • Youth library will be open ad hoc. See officer to open Community House
    • Questions about how to access library if no one is here. Creative ways to engage a craft hour with sign up lists with or without story hour to include pre organized crafts that can be easily facilitated. Need volunteers to spearhead activities/facilitate crafts.
    • Craft hour suggested to be facilitated by parent volunteers using ‘oriental trading catalog’ craft kits for younger age group.
    • Library Operation instructions to be compiled for volunteers Looking to purchase new bean bag chairs for library/movie nights.
  • Yoga taught on a consistent basis this summer – Thank you Jessie Petrie – portion of monies $190 to CABI and $100 to BIVC so far – $200 of which to still be donated (waiting until the end of the season to write one check?)
  • Ron Sweatt is offering an origami class for kids and adults (13 and over) date/timeTBD Meeting adjuourned at 10:22AM

Respectfully submitted, Susan Rauch & Debbie Crane

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: